Founded in 1832. We currently have approximately 300 members most of whom are medical practitioners. We have rooms in the Centre of York that have been used by the society since 1944.
MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENT - DR JONATHAN EVANS, MBBS, MRCGP
Welcome to our Society and Website! The meetings for our 189th session are detailed here, and I hope that you will be able to come to some, or perhaps all of them.
I trust that you will find an interesting mix of topics and speakers; covering, as they do, a range of subjects and bringing a wealth of expertise to the Society.
Our fortnightly meetings are relaxed, informative and fun.
There is the opportunity to share a glass of wine before and perhaps a meal afterwards with colleagues and friends both old and new. Then there is always the opportunity to join our Wine Society.
Our wonderful Rooms are available for hire and are perfect for meetings ranging from business lunches to social occasions and have access to our perfect walled garden hidden behind medieval walls. Specialised catering is always an option.
York Medical Society is one of the oldest in the country and it continues to thrive.
It is an environment removed from the workplace, and a rare opportunity to socialize across specialities in relaxed surroundings whether at one of the meetings or just to call in whilst in York.
We welcome those who have lived and worked in York for some time, as well as those new to the area who wish to get to know more about the people and place.
It is a good formula that continues to work well.
On a personal level, as a relatively recently retired York GP, I find it an invaluable means of keeping up with my former colleagues, meeting doctors still at work and getting to know and welcoming those new to the area.
An interest in medicine is lifelong.
Dr Jonathan Evans,
Benefits of Membership
- Thriving Friday evening meetings with medical and non-medical themed talks suitable for all, welcome drink and chance to stay for dinner
- Guests welcome
- HYMS Students and Doctors in training in particular very welcome-membership free!
- Chance to meet the faces behind the letters, GP and hospital staff are members
- Regular social programme including black tie annual dinner, Burns supper and visits
- Annual oration by an eminent invited speaker
- Access to the sanctuary of the garden and library, with coffee maker and peace and quiet
- Reduced room rates for parties or events for family and friends
- Travel bursaries and annual prize for presentation of original research
- Access to our valuable archive of medical texts kept in University of York Library
- Regular updates by email
Who can join?
- Registered medical practitioners from York and surrounding area
- Retired registered medical practitioners
- Orthodontic consultants at York Hospital
- Junior doctors in hospital and general practice*
- Registered medical practitioners serving with HM forces within the York area*
*Automatically temporary members but are welcome to apply for full membership.
HYMS students are welcome to attend society meetings.
Annual Membership Rates
Consultant or GPs – £100.00
Retired doctors – £60.00
Trainees and HM forces doctors – FREE
For further details on membership of the York Medical Society please contact:
The Manager, York Medical Society, 23 Stonegate, York YO1 8AW
Tel: 01904 849821 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How you can support the Society’s work
Legacies and DOnations
You can support the Society’s charitable work with a donation or a legacy. This could increase the number of our existing bursaries or endow a new named bursary, or it could increase the range of our charitable work.
If you are thinking of leaving a legacy, or wish to commemorate a loved one in some similar, philanthropic way, we can share our expertise and contacts to help you set it up.