Founded in 1832. We currently have approximately 300 members most of which are medical practitioners. We have rooms in the Centre of York that have been used by the society since 1944.
Who can join?
- Registered medical practitioners from York and surrounding area
- Retired registered medical practitioners
- Orthodontic consultants at York Hospital
- Junior doctors in hospital and general practice*
- Registered medical practitioners serving with HM forces within the York area*
*Automatically temporary members but are welcome to apply for full membership.
HYMS students are welcome to attend society meetings.
Benefits of Membership
- Friday evening meetings with medical and non-medical themed talks suitable for all, welcome drink and chance to stay for dinner
- Chance to meet the faces behind the letters, GP and hospital staff are members
- Regular social programme including black tie annual dinner, Burns supper and visits
- Annual oration by an eminent invited speaker
- Access to the sanctuary of the garden and library, with coffee maker and peace and quiet
- Reduced room rates for parties or events for family and friends
- Travel bursaries and annual prize for presentation of original research
- Access to our valuable archive of medical texts kept in University of York Library
- Regular updates by email
Annual Membership Rates
Consultant or GPs – £100.00
Retired doctors – £60.00
Trainees and HM forces doctors – FREE
For further details on membership of the York Medical Society please contact:
The Manager, York Medical Society, 23 Stonegate, York YO1 8AW
Tel: 01904 849821 e-mail: email@example.com